Have you ever noticed how easy it is to go from making steady progress on goals and priorities to being completely derailed?
There we sit, stuck, struggling. I’ve found when I’m stuck it’s usually because I’m dealing with a lack of one of three things:
– A lack of direction – not sure what’s next
– A lack of traction – no longer making steady progress
– A lack of motivation – weary from the journey and our get-up-and-go is gone.
So what can you do to get back on track? These six tips can help you get back on your path of progress:
- Ask – Is this still a priority? – Consider why you set out to accomplish it. If it’s still important, remind yourself of that “why.” Then use the “why” to fuel your motivation.
- Consult – Ask a trusted friend, a mentor, or someone with experience or listen to a program, a seminar or TED talk on the area you’re stuck. Get insight from someone who has helpful knowledge or someone who can help you see your blind spots. When you’re stuck, you’re not doomed to wander in quicksand alone, reach out to the resources around you.
- Use caution – Timeouts can be good but, be careful there’s a defined end to your “break.” Lingering breaks can become pitfalls. Allow yourself downtime but don’t camp out there.
- Create – Imagine the possibilities- Brainstorm a list of options for your next step(s). Write them all down including the practical, the realistic, the wacky and crazy. What comes to mind that you could do next? Sometimes letting the creativity flow will help you find the next step that works for you.
- Pray – Ask God. – When we’re stuck, we can forget the obvious – pray. Ask God for direction, motivation, and clarity.
- Decide – What’s the one next step? – Now decide what’s your one next step and the timing of when you will do it. Make a plan and take the next step. You don’t need to know the next ten steps to make the next one. Take the one step. That motion forward will enable you to continue. You don’t need to remain stuck!
What do you do when you get stuck? How do you get back on track? I’d love to hear from you.
Subscribe for your free Intentional Living Goal Calendar and updates!
Join Susan's email list and receive your "My Intentional Living Goal Calendar" and recieve Susan's encouraging updates.